Tuesday, September 7, 2010

JD-bound Joaney

Having been inspired by Max, I think I'll try to keep up with this blog as well.

It has been a while since I've updated and a lot has happened, most importantly is me getting into and having started law school. I'll take the time to get into everything else later.

I've gotten the third week of law school under my belt and I am still alive.

Law school each week can be compared to a thrilling horror movie in which I am one of the stars, who is terrorized from beginning to end, and by Friday, I am triumphant but barely breathing... Kinda like Brandy's character from I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. I'm well aware that this is a stupid analogy, but after three weeks of the most rigorous and challenging work I have ever encountered throughout my entire academic career, it is safe to say that all of my thinking has been devoted to the law and anything else stemming from my brain for any other purpose is pure fried chicken. Like, KFC double-down fried chicken. Any ounce of intelligence that I have must be saved up and sacrificed to the One L Gods (One L, that's what first year law students are called). You can't be wastin' water in the desert, knaamean?

"If law school is so damn hard, then why are you taking time out to blog?"

To answer that asinine question, I say it is to keep myself sane. I have decided that outside of law school, I will dedicate myself to two things and two things only: ALTA Fall tennis season and writing for leisure.

I have chosen to keep up with tennis because it is my favorite sport and I always end up hating myself for not keeping up with in the past whenever I have let a season go by without picking up my racquet. It'll keep me healthy and competitive outside of the classroom.

Writing for leisure is important to help me decompress without resorting to watching mindless television or stabbing myself in the eye. Writing helps me vent and allows me to discuss what I want to discuss outside of the demanding world of law school. I am constantly writing up case briefs for class and I think it'd be nice to write about other things, keeping myself a well-rounded writer. Or, what would most likely happen is that I end up muddying my writing skills by switching between professional and casual writing...eh, who knows?

Despite how I have made it seem, law school has been pretty exciting; it's nothing like I've ever done before and I hope to do well. I'll be keeping whoever reads this thing posted on my progress or demise. Seriously, I'll be more than happy to turn out like Brandy at the end of the movie--she may be covered in scratches, bruises, cuts and blood, but at least she's alive, dammit!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! I'm very proud of you!

    But let's not immediately dismiss mindless television. I think it's really important to keep up with the Kardashians.

    ReplyDelete