Friday, August 7, 2009

Workin' on my fitness

Image courtesy of 8tokyo.com

I have always been a generally curvy girl, but after dating Max for several years, my curves have just turned into a "curve." As in, I'm fat. Anywho, that's when I decided that I needed to work out more seriously. I have always maintained my weight by playing tennis, swimming, hitting the elliptical here and there, but I have found that it was not enough to stave away the steadily creeping pounds. Then, I decided to pick up on running.

I cannot tell you how running, on the treadmill or outside, has changed my life (makes the elliptical seem like the dumbest thing ever). In a matter of weeks I have lost 12 pounds by running a little over 1.5-3 miles 4-5 times a week--this was also done with the help of a diet that did not include Max's nacho and Mountain Dew cravings.

I have also found that the right music can make running even more fun and can be super motivational as well. Here are my top 10 favorite songs to run to:


1. Don't Stop Me Now By Queen: Actually, any Queen song will do, but this song is simply the shit

2. Back In Black By AC/DC: The intro of this song gets me going every time!

3. 99 Red Balloons By Nena: English or German version, doesn't matter--the beat is so much fun for running or dancing too

4. Sweet Child of Mine By Guns n' Roses: The guitar solo in the beginning is great for picking up the pace during my run. And besides, who doesn't just LOVE Axel Rose's voice?

5. Eye of the Tiger By Survivor: Cliche? Yes, but it never, EVER fails to get me through a run

6. Come On Over By Christina Aguilera: I don't know why, but this song is just really pleasant for running... Don't judge!

7. Barracuda By Heart: Makes me feel like an unstoppable badass!

8. Viva La Vida By Coldplay: I know everyone is probably sick of them, but the crescendos and build-ups provided by the orchestra in this track are great for keeping you going

9. Stronger By Kanye West: Cliche? Yes, but still--how can the lyrics not motivate you?

10. Paper Planes By M.I.A.: Great, chill song for running when it's hot and humid out


You can probably tell one of two things by looking at my list: One, I need to update my iTunes, and two, I have terrible taste in music, haha. Keep in mind, however, that this list is compiled based on how it effects my running performance. They're all cheesy and upbeat, and if that doesn't get your blood pumping, then I don't know what will!

Hopefully some day I'll get to run around in only my sports bra and look as awesome as Maria Menounos

Image coutesy of scoopcelebrity.com

But until then, I'll be donning silly (yet comfy!) tees like this:



I'll get there slowly but surely!


4 comments:

  1. haha! me too. Just a sports bra and hot pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't ever stop wearing those awesome t-shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much
    http//nycrunfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across your blog. Ugh...I struggle with the same weight issues...so it's encouraging to hear that running has helped you. I have been taking up walking again, and the other day combined a little walk/jog thing...Keep up the good work! :) hi-d
    http://hi-dho.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete